Hi, this is Yoko again: it's been three days in Foumban, Cameroon, 5h drive from the capital, Yaounde.
I and Maren are alive and well at this point. Sorry for not posting for the past few days since we did not have a wifi environment where we could do posts and also we have been trying very hard to just settle us down and be able to have a considerably good living envrionment.

Lesson 1 
WATER SHOULD NOT  BE TAKEN GRANTED FOR.

Well, guiys, three days have passed and we are already running low on our water storage. We have been using our stocked water over the past three days since there is no water coming out from the faucet. Bucket-showers are just a normal part of everyday life of people who actually live in this area. But today we couldn't even take one since we were afraid we would not have water to do other house chores if we did so. Hopefully, as soon as tomorrow, the water would come through the pipe and out of the tap.

Lesson 2
DO NOT EAT RAW FOOD ON THE STREET

Yeah, so our project is delayed partially because I was sick for two days before we arrived at Foumban. I got food poisoned by a slice of raw avocado handed from a boy on the street, and got IV-ed by a doctor in Yaounde and also got a anti-biotic shot. As you can imagine, a lot of puking and diarrhea

Lesson 3 
PEOPLE HAVE A DIFEERENT CLCOK HERE

I realized this when I was in Morocco actually, but people seem to act according to a different time frame. For example, one time when I was Morocco, my friend told me to wait for 20 min but actually he took an hour; another time, the driver in Cameroon told me he s coming in 10 min but in fact I waited for almost an hour, e.t.c.

Anyway, I and Maren will survive the water crisis and keep you posted.

Peace,
Yoko

ps: some photos from the past days





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise Political Meeting: a taste of flexibility and ceremony

Mandetkene Boutique: Chapter 3, getting to know you